PDA

View Full Version : Multilingual courses

rfrazee
06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I am looking into Joom!Fish to manage Multilingual content. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I am also curious, if Joom!Fish works with the JoomlaLMS to allow for a course to be presented in multiple languages, but be the same course.

My goal is the following:
Our primary target audience is native english speakers, but we have a very large potential client whose students are native speakers of another language. It would be really useful if we could somehow allow the user to change not only the navigational language, but also some of the actual content. Obviously, we would have to do all of the content translation, but we need to find an efficient way to do it.

Any thoughts?

Please let me know. Thank you.

den
06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I am looking into Joom!Fish to manage Multilingual content. Does anyone have any experience with it?

It would be very difficult (maybe impossible) to create Joom!Fich duplicate of all the course resources. I haven't any experiance with JoomFish (I know only principle of operation) and can't suggest any solution here.
I think that the better way in this situation is to create new separated course.

andreas
06-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I would agree with Den that it is easiest and best to create a new course for a different language.

Since it is possible to enter a course language name it should be possible to filter courses according to language (never tried it though.....) - this means, if the navigation language is switched to Spanish, only courses with language Spanish shoulld appear.

Would this work Den??? This would be much easier than messing around with Joomfish at course content level.

den
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Since it is possible to enter a course language name it should be possible to filter courses according to language (never tried it though.....) - this means, if the navigation language is switched to Spanish, only courses with language Spanish should appear.

There are some issues/limitations here. I.e. there is no 'language switching' outside the course level. User can switch the language inside the course only.
How about to create course categories by languages, i.e. 'english', 'spanish' ?

meetbhardwaj309
02-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks for share this information.

biospherix
06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
The thread in question was bumped from 2008. Do the newer versions offer any new capability in multilingual content delivery. Obviously we would have separate scorm's for each language as well.

thanks,
Brad

Helga_13
06-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Starting from version 1.3.0 a language switcher plugin was introduced in JoomlaLMS. It works with JoomFish and native Joomla language switcher allowing to switch the language of JoomlaLMS interface at the same time with switching the language of the site. However this works for general system interface only- the course language is specified upon course creation and can't be changed together with the language of the interface.