PDA

View Full Version : Alternative forum system

TBK
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Have you thought about using FireBoard instead of SMF?

FireBoard does everything as good as SMF or even better and have the same features as SMF.

Plus Fireboard is a fully integrated forum solution for joomla, no bridges, no hacking of core files.

den
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
In any case for private course forums we should use bridges and SMF here is better and faster.
We are waiting for Fireboard 1.1, where they should implement new group management. After that we will think abut additional plugin with FireBoard integration.

TBK
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
k, nice to hear :)

roland
07-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Hello,

one more vote for fireboard integration... :-)

I (or many Joomla sites) use Fireboard as "normal" forum. So you don't need two differents forums - it's easier for me and my users...

Best wishes, Roland

katandmouse
08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
In any case for private course forums we should use bridges and SMF here is better and faster.
We are waiting for Fireboard 1.1, where they should implement new group management. After that we will think abut additional plugin with FireBoard integration.

Hi Den,
Does the LMS tie into Fireboard yet?

den
08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello,
There is no integration with FireBoard yet, but there are a lot of improvements in the SMF integration.
I'm still prefer the solution to use SMF as course-integrated forum and FireBoard as whole site forum (for non-course-related discussions).

katandmouse
09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I hope you can hurry along the fireboard integration. We are having so many usability issues with SMF that it's beginning to drive me crazy, not to mention eat away my time. I spent the good part of every day for an entire week dealing with these issues.

Besides the fact that the login state doesn't seem to get passed which I posted in another forum, one of the biggest problem I see with SMF is it doesn't tie into Community Builder and probably the Joomla user database either. Consequently, our students are creating profiles in the forum as well.

I really hate to see this happen, but it's a compromise I find we have to make. Is this something SMF is working on?

Dare I say it, the biggest problem, though, is that the LMS system has to use a third party forum in the first place. Because it does, the teacher has to register as admin in the forum itself, students use the profile in the forum, and there are tools and links inherent in the forum that should either not be there or should be tied to the LMS system instead. What we have then is simply a bridge, a path between two ports of call, but not a real integration. So usability is not as good as it should be.

roland
09-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Hello,

same problems on my site.... I posted it in a other thread some time ago.

Fireboard makes big advantages at the moment. They have now a release who is stable enough - RC-1.0.5 (okay, they called it RC, but it's more stable than 1.0.4 stable).

And the coming 1.5 should have a group management - that makes it easier to combine it with JoomlaLMS.

So for usability the integration with Fireboard (or Agora) is the best solution.