PDA

View Full Version : Literary feature

TBK
03-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I know that a library feature is a off from the LMS idea, but it would be a good addition to the already "all in one" JoomlaLMS (school) system.

Features for the different roles that I just come up with:

Student:
- Keep track of borrowed books
-- History of earlier borrowed books
- Reserve books
----- Maybe the two below features should be part of some sort of knowledge archive connected to the category of courses
- Ebooks (don't know how it ought to work)
- Virtual material (e.g. video tutorial on how to script php)

Teacher:
- Keep track of borrowed books
-- History of earlier borrowed books
- Reserve books for a class

Administrator:
- List of borrowed books
- List of all books in the system

Librarian:
- Add books
- Buy books list
- List of borrowed books
- List of all books in the system
- Reserve book(s) for a student/teacher
- Reserve books for a class
- Send reminder
- Desktop software for lending/delivery of books (working with bar codes would be splendid).

den
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I can't fully understand your suggestions, can you explain in more details?
I guess that by 'book' you mean real book in the library, not an electronic copy.
Our system is more for managing of 'electronic' resources. (I.e. you can use 'Documents' tool for keeping them, sell courses to give access to the course 'Documents' tool).

TBK
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I mean real book like in a library, but then I thought about copy protected PDF files that only people with license can read and then came up with ebook idea.

Just a idea (Library feature) to expand the possibilities with JoomlaLMS :)

andreas
03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I think, to create a Library Component for Joomla is a great idea.... But certainly a very complex one (it sounds much easier then it actually is - especially if you want to please librarians). So I don't expect it to be integrated in JoomlaLMS. However, maybe some clever programmer reads your request and starts working on a Library component. To interface it with JoomlaLMS should be possible (if it is a Joomla component....) at a later point.

TBK
04-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Found an extension that can do most of the suggested features: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,3728/Itemid,35/